6.15.2008

A Week In Review.

Sorry these are so few and far between, I've been quite busybusy.

Today marks my two week anniversary of entering the bowels of New York. 1/5 complete with this leg of the race.
I guess I'll just go in order; I hope I remember everything.

I left you all on Sunday, when the heat was unbearable and we had no air conditioning. Since then, we have gotten two small window units, one for the front and one for the back. They help, but it still hasn't gotten under 80 degrees in my futon space.

Later on Sunday, Ian and I met up with Rahmani and we went to a great little get together that happens every Sunday (I might head out there in a little bit).














After that there was an "after party" at this crazy little bar with great wallpaper so we went as it was free. Spent a while there and went home to sleep and prepare for another week of work.














Monday was a great day, I went to work like any other and had a good time there like always. After work, I was walking to my coffee shop when I saw some bearded/mustached dudes with music equipment hailing a cab. I could tell they weren't from New York because of the way they were incessantly staring at me. I took it upon myself to initiate conversation with a "nice amp." Which was followed closely by a return of "nice mustache." I stopped and chatted for a minute while they were loading their junk into the taxi and picked up that they were a small folk country band from Saskatoon Canada and that they were playing a show at a tiny dive bar later that night.
I took their card and continued on to my coffee shop to get my daily huge cheap iced coffee and a smile from the plethora of good looking people that work there. I decided to find the place that they said they were playing at so that I wouldn't be lost when I tried to find it at nine. I found it finally and kept walking, picking up a few slices of pizza on the way and spilling grease all over my bag and shirt, ohwell. After walking aimlessly in the super heat I found a bench a few blocks from the bar and sat and read for an hour or so. Finally it was close enough for me to go and not feel awkward, luckily I showed up before happy hour was over. The guys were there and they didn't know anyone (neither did I of course) so I hung out with them. They gave me a few cd's and we chatted for a while until they were prompted to start setting up. Since I had been talking and sitting so closely with the band before the show even got close to starting, everyone that worked there assumed I was either in the band or was with them personally which was nice; A few super cheap beers. The other perk was that once things got going, the woman who booked the show marked the table I was sitting at as reserved but didn't make me move. I was immediately immersed in some close friends of the bar and their conversations. The band that I had met were great, and after that the house band played (playing lead guitar was the guitarist that is touring with Jacob Dylan) they were amazing. The music was great, the people were alright, and I had a great time. I ended up hanging out there until 1:30 or so and found my way to a subway stop and made it back home. I think I'll go again tomorrow.










Tuesday.... hmm, feels fairly normal in memory. Ohwait, Tuesday was a blast. Tuesday me and Brice (my coworker for shirts, ties, and loungewear) got to go shopping all day all over Manhattan. We went to 20+ different stores. It was blistering hot. We walked the whole time. Fashion in New York is quite hit or miss, before coming here I never knew how ridiculous the spectrum really was. Even at Barney's, the only thing we could find was one good linen tie, nothing else that would ever be good to rip off or even inspire us. There's so much shit to sift through that it really gets hard to find anything good. After that big department store we went to only tiny places and it was a blast, lots of amazing things that I would love to own but that I could never afford (at least right now). One place that was amazing was a place called Earnest Sewn in SoHo that was reaaaaally great but everything was expensive. I wanted so badly to try on some jeans but the fact that they were between 350 and 500 dollars made me not want to even be tempted to buy them. Before we left the girl gave me a card for a sample sale that was later in the week, more on that to come.
Finally we got to the office (we started at 10ish and didn't get into the office until 5:45) and finished up what needed to be done there and I went home. My feet were sore and my body was exhausted.

Wednesday... I really cant remember, hopefully im not forgetting something good, though I assume all I did was go to work, read in the park, and then go home as I was still tired from Tuesday's outing.

Thursday was a good time, work as usual and then hung out with the ISU kids at a bar called the Alligator Lounge where you get a free pizza when you buy a beer. Dinner and Brooklyn brew in the same place is fine by me. We then all went to a really great bookstore called spoonbill and I got to pet my first cats since I moved here, something I've really been missing. Then home and to bed, nothing too grand.

Friday was good. Summer Fridays are amazing, I got off around 1:15 and immediately went to the Earnest Sewn sample sale where I purchased my first pair of 400$ jeans for 75$. So comfy and they fit so well. I then proceeded to walk around the meat packing district (where the sample sale was) for a while as I had nothing better to do. Found a tiny salvation army and bought a few ties that I'll take to work next week for inspiration, but nothing else good. Walked back to Union Square like usual and read under a tree until around 4 when Ian came and met me after he got off work. We sat and people watched as usual, which is always fun and something that you can do at any time on any day here. I finished the book I was reading which is always nice.
Ian leaned into the mulch and managed to get a thorn stuck in his hand, how nice of them to leave those in there.














Ian had to work at 6 so we left around 5:15, but before we left Ian made a tiny note for a cute girl reading Catch 22 near us:






oh Ian.













I then went to my coffee shop to chit chat with my newest friend; a 35 year old beautiful woman who just moved to New York from LA. There has yet to be a dull moment in our conversation so spare time spent with her is always great. I got my usual iced coffee and started reading a book that by coincidence she had just started as well. I managed to stop in the exact place she had while going to work that day; we have yet to have a loss of moments like this. She is great.
I met up with the ISU gang again after that, heading to Ali's place; a dorm room at new school. Ali, Dylan, Lydia, and I all met up there before they went out.
Lydia and I, being the only ones still under 21, got a bottle of wine and took the Staten Island ferry. It was beautiful and free. When we got to the other side we ran to the other dock to the returning ferry and took that one right back. Subway home and sleep.





Saturday was fun as well, lazy lazy all day as it got rainier and rainier. At nine I ventured out to an art space called the Galapagos. It was a beautiful place. I met Jessica there and we enjoyed some free music including a band that one of her coworkers was in. A good time; I came home, made some mac and cheese, and passed out to some Conan on Hulu.

And now today. Lazy Sunday, I've been typing this for quite a while. At 5 is a free show with some free beer that I was invited to at another store we visited on Tuesday. Not sure if I'll make it or not, hopefully but I won't know anyone there. Hasn't stopped me in the past so we'll see.
Hope all is well.
-JWGM

No comments: