6.22.2008

Another Week, a Few More Blaergs: Pert Won

Ohboy.
So what I've learned from this site is that its reaaally hard to make a blog with a tiny computer and that its easier to make a bunch of small ones that one reaaaaaally big one.
That being said; welcome to week three of my 7 month adventure.

Before I start I want to indulge you with a little poem that I read every morning(ish) on the subway. Every day it makes a little bit more sense.
E.B. White
Here is New York
1948

"There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter--the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something. Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion
."

There is more to it than this, but that is what is on the subway on an ad for a museum or something. It's definitely starting to hit home for me. You should look up the poem and read the whole thing, its kind of crazy how well he predicts the future from 1948 to now.
http://grammar.about.com/od/shortpassagesforanalysis/a/ebwnycpass07.htm


So Anyways, I left you on Sunday afternoon right before I went to the yard again for another incarnation of Sunday's Best. I met up with Johnathan and Whitney there, had a few beers, danced a bit, and left. We got a bite to eat at a really good burger joint on 5th ave and I headed home.
Sleep.

Monday: Work; Katie (my boss) left on Sunday for London and Italy to go to our shirt and tie mills so it was just me and Brice. A family friend of his died over the weekend so he had to go back sometime during the week so he spent a lot of time thinking of what I could do for the week. He gave me a list of things to do over the week on Monday morning: I got 95% of it done on Monday; Hahaha. I made a board of tie patterns and stripes for Fall 09 and then a board for prints for boxers for fall as well. Then, I proceeded to give style numbers to all of the shirts for next summer and all of the boxers as well as color codes for all of them. All of this was done before I left on Monday. Needless to say Brice was baffled.
After work, Ian and I went to this weird little shop called Mooji and bought some office supplyish stuff, I got a tiny binder to keep my work in along with some paper that fits in it and a weekly booklet so I can keep up with myself and remember all the shit I do while I'm away.
Grey Dog for coffee with Ian and Lydia and home to sleep.











Tuesday was a great day. Work as usual, finished up putting numbers into a database for what I did on Monday, coffee at Grey Dog, Ian met me there. Went to dinner at another crazy japonese place on St. Marks, delicious. I had to get a set of keys from my roommates who were both at the same bar and I was gonna go there anyways, guy asks for my id so I get the keys and me and Ian walk a few blocks. Ian reaaaaaaaally had to use the bathroom so we went into this bar called Max Fisch, it was amazing. I get a beer while he's in the bathroom and we end up staying there all night. This night deserves a whole blog of its own to describe how great it was but between meeting crazy kids from Arizona, an adorable girl that I thought was dating a kid and figured out she wasn't so I gave her my number and now we hang out every day, and a group of married women buying me beers; that night was wonderful. Home finally and sleep.

I was gonna finish the week, but its late: tomorrow comes the end.

I will leave you with a few things; one thing that I find depressing about all of this is that I dont have a single musical instrument with me and I have yet to find one to use temporarily. I've still been writing sometimes and I wish I had a guitar so I could sing but ohwell.

"And with the feet of birds
I love the way your words
Roll off your tongue with such a subtle
Sense
Of urgency

I love the way you need
No one else to breathe
I don't know where your feet will walk
But I
Will pave the road."

No comments: